First, a sleepy, furry word from Tim:
Thank you for your patience while we transitioned to our new catalog. Welcome to a new era for COMC.com! We are grateful for the outpouring of support we are receiving, and we appreciate feedback as we continue to work together, building our new catalog.
As we mentioned previously, the next few weeks will be a bit rocky with missing data, errors, and many opportunities for improvement. Everything submitted is for sale as usual, but items that are missing data are harder to browse/search. The current state of the site is “Card Show” mode. Just like when you go to a card show and browse tables and bins looking for those rare items and special deals, that’s a bit what shopping on COMC will be like for the near future while we rapidly build our database. We are optimistic about the speed at which you will see improvement, as our data increased by 10% in one day alone! Your contributions have been significant. You’ve made a big difference!
Ways To Make It Better
- The best way to help populate data is still by playing The Challenges, as the data entered there is normalized. When you assign a team name like New York Yankees to a card, you’re essentially bucketing that card with all the other Yankees cards. Be on the look out for new challenges and prizes!
- You can submit missing data or corrections for existing data for specific cards in your inventory or for sale on the site:
- Go to the Inventory Manager in your Dashboard. When you find missing/incorrect data in your inventory, click the Edit link next to the item description:
- When you find missing data in the Search Results, click on the item and, at the top of the page next to the description, click the Edit link:
- From Edit (from your Search or Inventory), you will get a popup where you can enter data that is missing or needs correction:
- Please keep in mind, edits you make to a card are not normalized, meaning if you enter the correction to Teams: “New York Yankees” or “yankees” or “new yyok yankz”, the system won’t bucket it with other Yankees cards. It is still very helpful to use the new Edit feature, as it flags the card as incorrect and lets us know your correction suggestion. It is just a less efficient process than playing the Challenges and will take more time to correct, as someone here will need to review each correction.
- Please DO NOT USE the Report Error function, as that is used for reporting ID errors. These will go to the wrong team.
As we said previously, we won’t charge storage fees for the month of April. We expect to have player and team search functionality fully restored by the end of April. In May and June, we will be working on more advanced search functionality, such as the type of memorabilia.
Suggested List Price (SLP)
We were hoping to have the beta version of our pricing suggestions live today, but we ran out of time. We will release it soon and let you know more as it develops. Once our SLPs are live, contributors who earned at least 20K in Challenge points will receive free SLPs while it is in beta. In the meantime, we have turned on the “Going Rate” feature. This feature may help you price your cards by showing you how many like items are on the site and the range at which they are being priced. While we have previously had quite a few requests for this feature, we have hesitated to turn it on to prevent a race-to-the-bottom with pricing. We will be monitoring how this feature is being used, and if it remains good for the COMC ecosystem, we may choose to keep it enabled.
The other way to receive helpful pricing information is to click Sales History to the right of the items in your inventory. This activates a popup which tells you the condition, how many are for sale, how many have sold and shipped, and at what price.
We hope you enjoy COMC while it’s in Card Show mode, and we will continue to let you know as things develop here. Please continue to contribute to the catalog and let us know what we can do to create the best collecting experience!
You must be logged in to post a comment.