COMC is constantly seeking out ways to evolve our services to improve the hobby and give our customers the best possible experience.
Starting June 14th, 2019, COMC will begin using a new process to describe modern trading cards with condition issues that result in less than Near-Mint-Mint (NM-MT) condition. We believe these changes will greatly improve the experience for consignors by reducing the complexities of our current declined items system and for buyers and sellers by more effectively indicating which items are in less than NM-MT condition.
At a Glance
- Modern trading cards in less than NM-MT condition consigned through Basic and Current-Year Basic services will no longer be declined, nor will they receive condition notes. These items will now be evaluated and described with condition ranges using standardized hobby verbiage (described below).
- Modern trading cards in less than NM-MT condition consigned through Select, Current-Year Select, and Premium services will still receive condition notes, as well as be described with condition ranges using standardized hobby verbiage.
- Items previously consigned through all service levels will still retain any applicable condition notes, but will now also be described with corresponding condition ranges using standardized hobby verbiage.
Detailed Explanation of Upcoming Changes
Declined Card System:
Currently, all modern (1980 to present) trading cards in less than NM-MT condition submitted through Basic and Current-Year Basic services are uploaded into the consignor’s inventory as a single group of declined items. Consignors are then presented with the following options:
- Reprocess the whole group of items through our Select-level service, where they will receive condition notes. The items can then be listed on the COMC Marketplace.
- Donate the group of declined items to charity.
- Add the group of declined items to their next shipment request
On June 14, this declined-item system will be completely retired. Sellers with previously declined items will have adequate time to process, donate, or ship those items before support for the old system is also retired. Be on the lookout for more information soon with important deadline dates for when accounts with legacy declined items will be required to choose a resolution.
Modern Condition Ranges:
COMC will begin processing every item submitted through Basic and Current-Year Basic services regardless of condition. Modern Items received in less than NM-MT condition will be evaluated and assigned one of the following condition ranges:
- Excellent to Near-Mint (EX to NM)
- Good to Very-Good/Excellent (Good to VG-EX)
- Poor to Fair (Poor to Fair)
Modern trading cards in NM-MT condition or better will not be assigned a condition range. In some cases, modern trading cards in NM-MT or better condition may receive a condition note for a minor issue we don’t believe results in less than NM-MT condition.
Items consigned prior to June 14th will still retain any condition notes they previously received but will also be described with corresponding condition ranges.
When is this happening?
On June 14th, 2019, we will begin to apply condition ranges to modern cards and update the Submission Wizard to reflect the new process. All consignment submissions containing updated paperwork or received after July 1st will be processed with these changes.
How will I be affected?
As a COMC Consignor
COMC Consignors will want to be more mindful about the condition of the items that they are submitting. Items in less than NM-MT condition will no longer be declined, and going forward all items submitted to COMC will be processed and deposited into their consignors’ accounts.
It is important to note that, with this change, sellers will be charged processing fees for all items submitted through our Basic and Current-Year Basic services, as COMC will no longer be declining to list items through these services for condition-related reasons. By no longer declining these items, sellers should ensure that they have a sufficient COMC Credit balance to pay for processing of all items submitted under these services to avoid delays in items being uploaded into their account.
As a COMC Seller
Currently, modern cards with flaws are given condition notes but are still grouped with items in NM-MT or better condition. Sellers have frequently been unable to quickly and accurately price their items with the information presented to them from the Inventory Manager. When pricing your COMC inventory after June 14th, sellers can now have confidence that competing items are similar in quality to their items.
As a COMC Buyer
By making this change, it’s even easier to find the items you want in the conditions you are seeking. You’ll be able to quickly tell if an item has conditional flaws directly from search result pages, which will now display condition ranges. Items in less than NM-MT condition will no longer be found grouped with items in NM-MT condition or better.
good stuff- been asking for this for years, happy to see it implemented! Well done COMC crew
Agreed, this is phenomenal