Sorry about the website slowness and sporadic down-time this morning. For some reason, Friday likes to give us the most fits. Almost every time we run into any issues it happens on a Friday. Go figure…
Anyhow… In case other web developers run into this issue, here is what happened, and what we did to fix it.
This morning we noticed that w3wp.exe on our web server was using nearly 100% of the CPU and was floating between 3GB and 6GB of memory usage.
Restarting IIS didn’t solve the problem. w3wp.exe would quickly consume all available resources.
Solution: Re-deploy the ASP.Net 2.0 website.
My theory is that the ASP.Net compile state somehow got corrupted. Re-deploying the website simply triggered a full recompile.
The website is back up and running smoothly now.